Saturday, April 25, 2009

Demo Road Trip- Whole Foods Cleveland

Whole Foods in Cleveland (technically located in University Heights, OH)

Demo days can go two ways- really, really great, or really, really disappointing. Today was a really great day. On this warm and beautiful spring day, we loaded the car up with samples and drove out to Cleveland. It's only about a two hour drive to the Whole Foods there. When we arrived, I was so surprised to see that a table and display had already been set up for our demo- it was really lovely!

I have to tell you, that when I first started doing demos with our Cupola Cookies about a year ago, I had pretty thin skin. I say this because there were times when people who tried our products were very honest and didn't like them. At first, I was a little hurt, but I quickly came to realize that of course, taste is very subjective, and there is no way that everyone would like our products. Even if you're selling an incredibly mainstream product like chocolate chip cookies, there will always be some people that don't like chocolate or don't like your specific recipe. Similarly, there are certain foods that I don't necessarily care for, like olives (yes, I know, I must be crazy, because most people like olives), but I have friends who could eat a whole jar of them.

These days, I am more mentally prepared if someone remarks that they don't care for our products during a product demo. I keep a positive attitude, take it in stride and appreciate the honest feedback, whether it's positive or negative. I think it helps both my mom and I to remember that our Cupola Cookies and Cupola Clouds are very new and unique products to the market and it is always a challenge to introduce something to people that's different and maybe a little unfamiliar. After all, different can be a very good thing (channeling Martha Stewart here).

Overall, Clevelanders love our Cupola Cookies! They especially liked the Chai Pistachio, which was the top seller today, followed by Chocolate Cashew and Espresso Walnut. Thanks again to the Whole Foods team at the Cedar Center, especially Dave and Nadine, for being such wonderful hosts!

We had a little to explore a little before heading to the store, so below are some other interesting images of Cleveland.



Shaker Square is a charming neighborhood located in the eastern end of Cleveland. Lots of great little shops, restaurants and home to the North Union Farmers Market.



Dewey's Coffee House- fireplace inside, patio outside and great organic fair-trade coffee. What more could you ask for?


Beautiful brown oyster mushrooms at the North Union Farmers Market.



Japanese Asparagus- I had never seen this type of asparagus before, so we bought a bunch to try.



Look- a cupola! Stumbled upon this one on our drive out of Cleveland.

No comments: