Friday, August 7, 2009

Julie & Julia



I'm sure you've all seen or heard the hype surrounding the new film "Julie & Julia," starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. As a self-admitted Nora Ephron junkie (Who couldn't love the neuroticism of Meg Ryan's character in When Harry Met Sally or that precocious kid in Sleepless in Seattle?), I gravitated towards this movie when I first saw the trailer.

I've always admired Julia Child from afar but have not really had much of an experience with her recipes or her show. I know it sounds a little silly, but I think I'm going to hold off on watching the film until I have a more first hand experience of Julia Child in general. My reasoning is that I don't want my impression of who she is as a chef and person to be affected by the characterization of her in the film. Call me a purist, but this woman is a culinary legend and I feel like it would be a little unjust for my first real encounter with her and her cooking to be based on a movie. And on that note, as anyone out there seen the film yet? I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it.

What I do love about the film already is that it has brought Julia Child to an audience that perhaps would have been content with being entertained and educated about cooking by the celebrity chefs of today. Case in point- I was at Target yesterday and next to each other on a shelf were the books "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell and "Mastering The Art of French Cooking," by Julia Child.

It has made those who have only heard the name Julia Child in passing, curious about the woman behind the name and has provoked discussion about the way we used to cook and eat and what has or has not changed. One example is this stirring (no pun intended!) article that Michael Pollan wrote for The Times Magazine, entitled "Out of Kitchen, Onto the Couch". It's a long one, but if you get a chance, check it out- I think you'll find it thought provoking. It will definitely give you something to chew on.

I did find some clips of Julia Child on YouTube though! See her make an omelette on her show, The French Chef, below.



2 comments:

Pam M. said...

Stephanie,

Love your updates as always!

I saw "Julia & Julia" yesterday and loved it! It's motivated me to at least try to cook more, and I love French food and think I'll buy Julia Child's book and perhaps attempt to wade through it as well!

I don't know if watching the movie before knowing about Julia is all that bad--if anything, Meryl Streep's, in my opinion Oscar-worthy, performance is incredible and makes you want to know more about her!

Stephanie from Cupoladua Oven said...

Hi Pam- glad to hear you really enjoyed "Julia & Julia" and that Meryl Streep's performance made you even more curious to learn about Julia Child.

I love French food too, although I haven't quite tackled French cooking myself. Although I can whip up a pretty mean crepe!