Sunday, August 2, 2009

Do what you love and love what you do

One thing I've missed a lot since I've started our business is the extra time I used to have to watch films and go to theatre, like I used to do when I was living in New York.

But every now and then, I think back to those lazy Saturdays and Sundays when I used to meet up with friends at the Loews Kips Bay or the Sunshine for a documentary. Then there was the time I camped out at the Public Theater box office in Astor Square for 10 hours- (starting at 3 a.m.!) to get free tickets to see Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline in Bertolt Brecht's "Mother Courage and Her Children." Definitely one of the most memorable and thought provoking, that I've ever attended.


Even as busy as we are now, I still try to find ways to balance work and everything. I'm not married and don't have kids, so I try to spend time with my friends when I can. I might not be able to go out as much as I used to, but I've figured out other ways to continue my hobbies. I just watched a really inspiring movie called "Spirit of the Marathon" on Hulu. The documentary profiles 6 different runners who are participating in the Chicago marathon. I thought it was simultaneously inspiring, tragic and hopeful. To me, one of the most important points of the film was that the marathon can be seen as a metaphor for life and I think many marathon runners feel the same way. The idea that to challenge yourself to complete a 26 mile race is to challenge yourself in life and to continue to be determined, have optimism and faith (spiritual or otherwise), that at the end of the day, you're going to cross that finish line.


Yes, I know, you're saying right now that I should never go into reviewing films for a living and I agree with you, wholeheartedly.


But really guys, check out the film if you get a chance- at the very least you will feel like getting up and doing something when you're done!




2 comments:

Louise Kramer said...

Stephanie, Great take on the Fancy Food Show. I feel like the show itself was a marathon. That documentary sound great. Louise

Stephanie from Cupoladua Oven said...

Thanks Louise- we had another great experience at the show this year. I'll be posting photos soon, so be sure to check back!

It sounds cliche, but watching the documentary really did motivate me to get in better shape- I've been running three times this week already! We'll see how long that lasts...