Sunday, July 29, 2007

How much is that cookie in the window?

This past week we started reaching out to retailers in the Western Pennsylvania/ Pittsburgh area to see if they would be interested in carrying our Chocolate Cashew Meringue cookies. Cold calling specialty food stores and coffee shops was difficult and a bit awkward for me at first, but after a couple calls, to my surprise, I got into a groove and discovered that I actually liked giving the sales pitch about our cookies over the phone. It's exciting and challenging at the same time because you never know what the reaction of the individual you're speaking with will be. Sometimes you catch people at a bad time and they won't let you finish your first sentence. Other people can be extremely kind and you get off the phone and give yourself a pat on the back because they sounded really interested.

My quick sales pitch and initial introduction to our cookies over the phone goes something like this (mind you, all of this is said without taking a breath):

"Hello! My name is Stephanie and I co-own a local baked goods company. We're launching a new Chocolate Cashew Meringue cookie that we thought would be great for your store. I wanted to see if I might be able to swing by with some free samples for you to try."

I have a theory that if I can just get to the part where I talk about bringing in free samples, that the chances of a potential retail customer agreeing to meet with me goes up about 50% or so. I mean, who would turn down free food? I am never one to walk through Costco or Whole Foods without taking a detour or two to sample that new smoked Gouda or artichoke ravioli.

I admit there were some folks who were not willing to try our cookies, but there were also a number who were very enthusiastic about sampling our treats. At the end of last week, we had 6 retail locations place initial orders! As of this week, our cookies will be carried at the following Pittsburgh area locations:

Coffee Tree Roasters (at all 4 locations in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel)
The Uncommon Market (Mt. Lebanon)
T-Bones Marketplace (Wexford)

We are scheduled to make deliveries tomorrow morning to 5 of the 6 locations. So hopefully by the end of this week or next week, we'll have a better idea of how our cookies are being received the the general public. Cross your fingers!

No comments: